Find Your Elected Officials
- Find contact information for your elected county officials here, or find your local prosecutor by contacting the National District Attorneys Association at 703-549-9222 between 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday.
- Find your legislator's contact information by entering your zip code on Congress.org.
Before contacting your elected officials about improving your state’s animal protection laws, take a look at these resources developed by ALDF:
- Guide to working with legislators
- Animal Protection Laws of the USA and Canada
- Model Animal Protection Laws
Many of the authorities who set the tone and carry out the work of animal abuse criminal prosecutions are elected officials–usually through the county government system. There is benefit to approaching these officials proactively, regardless of what animal cruelty case(s) may or may not be making the news.
Contact them in person or by letter, politely letting them know that, as a voting citizen, you expect and appreciate that animal abuse cases receive thorough investigation and vigorous prosecution. Let them know that ALDF’s Criminal Justice Program provides free legal assistance to prosecutors and law enforcement officers who are handling these cases. Try to keep letters to one page, and if you make an appointment to meet with them, please be respectful of their very real time limitations.